Monday, November 12, 2007

REDRUM AYS


Redrum AYS makes art that celebrates youth as a source of power. His little kids and cartoon characters run amok in Vancouver, and if you've seen The Shining, the word 'redrum' brings to mind a scary but gifted youngin'.


In a city where you can find cannabis cafes and shoot-up spots, you'd expect renegade artists to bomb the hell out of the place. Not the case, actually. I got Redrum to give me a sort of scene check and this is what he had to say: "The Vancouver streetart scene is very small. Only a handful of regular streetartists who get up. I have a feeling this could be due to the upcoming olympics in 2010. I've never met any other street artists other than my own crew."


So the Vancouver buff is strong indeed. But tolerant Canadian attitudes are still prevalent.
"As for the police, I've never had a problem. I know they're just doing their job, so how can I hate on that?" Thanks, Redrum, for reminding us why Canada can sometimes seem so reasonable and inviting when the New York City madness gets to be too much.


Thanks to Redrum for the words and pictures. To check in on what he's been doing, peep the Flickr.

No comments: